Friday, June 26, 2015

Comic Cuts - 26 June 2015

I'm in the eye of the storm. It's press week at Hotel Business and after a nervy couple of days waiting for features to start appearing the last two days have been incredibly frantic, turning around editorial at a rate to keep the hungry beast that is our design studio fed.

At the beginning of last week I thought I had everything ticking along reasonably well only to have the rug pulled from under my feet. Without going into detail, I was left with a couple of holes last Thursday that needed filling. Thankfully, a useful service I had been asked not to use was made available to me and a request went out for material. Four or five responses was all I needed, and I had those by Friday. Everyone had a deadline of Wednesday—hence the nervy start to the week. Thankfully, all was delivered and I ended up with a selection to choose from.

Unfortunately, there's very little room in the mag for extensive articles and almost invariably they come in long. One dealt with today was meant to be around 600 words, came in at nearly 900 and had to be hacked back to 550. I'm going to have to get tougher with anyone who sends in over long pieces.

Um... I really haven't done anything else. For entertainment I've been rewatching the first season of Heroes and revelling in just how good it was. If I remember correctly, the newspapers turned against the show with season two, complaining that it was too slow or two complex, and this seemed to infect viewers who couldn't cope with anything more complicated than "Save the cheerleader, save the world". That's my memory of the situation, although maybe they waited until season three before really getting their claws out. Personally, I stuck with it and thought it was still an interesting show. And I'll definitely be watching Heroes Reborn when it comes out.

David Ainsworth, who regularly sends over book cover scans, sent me an Arrow book during the week (that's it at the head of this column) and inspired the following random collection of Dennis Wheatley titles. The first four have artwork by Sax. The fifth is by... who? It's fantastic and was used as a cover from 1954 through six impressions of The Devil Rides Out over the next decade. Not Sax, I think, but I'm struggling to put a name to the artist.

 
 
 
.

No comments:

Post a Comment

BEAR ALLEY BOOKS

BEAR ALLEY BOOKS
Click on the above pic to visit our sister site Bear Alley Books